Rise Ventures and Nyirrunggulung-Rise are thrilled to announce a new dedicated space to boost training and jobs for the local community.
The new Katherine Trade Skills Hub is a strategic initiative to boost economic development across the Big Rivers region by supporting pathways to jobs, skills, and employment.
Our Katherine Trade Skills Hub Partners are:
- Rise Ventures
- NT Chamber of Commerce
- Group Training NT (Australian Apprenticeships Centre NT)
- Jawoyn Association Aboriginal Corporation
- Kalano Community Association
- Charles Darwin University
- Batchelor Institute
About the Centre
The Katherine Trades Skills Hub (KTSH) is a collaborative, industry-based initiative to develop a “one-stop-shop” for trades-based skills development and employment pathways in Katherine and surrounding areas. The KTSH will encapsulate a variety of pre-apprenticeships programs across a range of trades areas including general construction, civil construction, carpentry, metal fabrication, hospitality, tourism, horticulture, and health.
KTSH will engage with, and be supported by, several leading training and educational institutions to maximise the range, diversity, and quality of training options available for trainees and apprentices across the region. The Hub will also work closely with local employment service providers, employers, community stakeholders, and community-based organizations to underpin regional workforce development, and ongoing employment outcomes for local trainees, apprentices, and job seekers in the region.
Central to the site is a well-constructed large steel frame shed with drive through concrete access. The shed includes an internal air-conditioned office with NBN and communications, as well as a large mezzanine storage space and staff kitchenette. The shed is presently set up to accommodate basic trades-based training programs including carpentry, welding, and small engine maintenance.
This large, elevated corner commercial block has a side workshop and storage area with an additional wash-down as well as a large back awning and shelter for outdoor work. It includes a large chain wire fence with double gates and dual access for maximum security.
Also located on site is a secondary building that includes air-conditioned training rooms, a kitchen area, and storage. This building is ideally situated for hospitality, tourism, visual arts, and foundation skills training. It is envisioned to include a digital learning space for online and blended learning to be enabled through the KTSH as well.
Key Features of the Katherine Trade Skills Hub
- Large, sheltered Trades Skills facility suitable for a range of training activities.
- Office areas for Supervisors and Trainers.
- Includes solar power for reduced outgoings and environmental footprint.
- Includes two small units allowing for reduced accommodation costs for visiting trainers.
- Space that safely separates woodwork and metal fabrication areas.
- Industry based regional partnerships to boost training and employment outcomes.
- Youth engagement and training through local NGO’s and community organizations.
- Rise Ventures CDP (Community Development Program) Activity Hub will promote greater Job Seeker engagement and provide wrap around support for trainees.
Trainor Brenton from Batchelor Institute with RISE Participant Kenneth Newman going through a safety talk before welding use at the new Katherine Trade Skills Hub
RISE Participant Kenneth Newman cutting out his BBQ Plate at the new Katherine Trade Skills Hub
Horticultural Training Area
- Ample hard stand space for Machinery training (EWP/Forklift)
- Garden space for Horticultural Training
- Accommodation area for Housekeeping / Tourism Training
- Kitchen for Cooking / Hospitality Training / Life Skills
- Site allows for easy disability access
- Vehicle detailing facilities could be utilised as an enterprise providing a service to Katherine business fleets.
Rise Ventures and Nyirrunggulung-Rise are busy planning training and activities at the new Katherine Trade Skills Hub (KTSH). We will post all our news on our websites and social pages for the latest on the KTSH.
Rise Katherine Trades Skills Hub